Prions cause fatal and transmissible neurodegenerative diseases, including Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans, scrapie in small ruminants, and bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).
After the BSE epidemic, and the associated human infections, began in 1996 in the United Kingdom, general concerns have been raised about animal prions.
We detected a prion disease in dromedary camels (Camelus dromedarius) in Algeria. Symptoms suggesting prion disease occurred in 3.1% of dromedaries brought for slaughter to Ouargla abattoir in 2015–2016. We confirmed diagnosis by detecting pathognomonic neurodegeneration and disease-specific prion protein (PrPSc) in brain tissues from 3 symptomatic animals.
Prion detection in lymphoid tissues is suggestive of the infectious nature of the disease. PrPSc biochemical characterization showed differences with BSE and scrapie.
Our identification of this prion disease in a geographically widespread livestock species requires urgent enforcement of surveillance and assessment of the potential risks to human and animal health.
Music News reports Meghan Trainor vomited all over her new fiance in an unfortunate food poisoning incident the day after his romantic proposal.
It wasn’t food poisoning.
The All About That Bass singer has been dating Spy Kids actor Daryl Sabara since the summer of 2016, and he popped the question on her 24th birthday on 22 December (17), transforming a garden at the Living Desert Zoo & Gardens in Palm Springs, California into a winter wonderland for the special moment.
The 24-year-old was quick to say yes and the pair continued their celebrations back at their hotel. However, things were less picture perfect the next day, when the pair drove home.
“It’s kind of gross,” she warned the presenters on U.S. TV show The Talk on Wednesday (31Jan18) before launching into the disgusting story. “We’re eating so much healthier nowadays, but we were at the hotel and we’re eating the hotel food and the day that we drove home I got food poisoning on the car ride.
“So, he’s driving and I’m just in his face like ‘urghl’ (throwing up), and I told him, ‘I’m so sorry,’ and he’s like, ‘I’d kiss you right now.'”
At that point, Sabara proved his fiance potential as he leaned over to his wife-to-be for a kiss. As the presenters admitted they were impressed by his bravery, Meghan laughed: “We pulled over, we had like a moment. He went for the nasty!”
Meghan previously revealed that she had fallen for Daryl two years before they started dating, after recognising him as the star of one of her favourite films, Spy Kids.
James Wong, who regularly appears on CountryFile, said on Twitter that flowers decorating a fruity pink chia seed pudding in a viral photo were highly toxic and could cause vomiting.
Though he didn’t name the blogger, FEMAIL Food&Drink can reveal the photo was originally posted on Instagram by San Francisco-based cookbook author Marie Reginato, who has 74,000 followers.
Her Instagram feed reveals she has decorated several dishes with the toxic flowers, which are PaperWhite Narcissus blooms.
Marie Reginato has been blogging about her plant-based diet for about three years. It’s become so successful that she’s used it to publish a cookbook called Alternative Vegan
James Wong spotted Reignato’s image and revealed that the flowers decorating it are poisonous
Wong, who grew to prominence with his TV show How To Grow Your Own Drugs, said of the chia seed pudding photo to his 66,000 followers on Twitter: ‘Another day, another “clean eating” Instagramer posting images of toxic flowers on food.
‘It may not contain dairy or gluten *gasp* but it does contain the toxic plant alkaloid, lycorine.
‘Symptoms: Itching, swelling, (and in quantity) nausea, vomiting & convulsions.’
Wong did not reveal the type of flower on the chia seed pudding, but other botany enthusiasts identified it as flowers of the Paperwhite Narcissus plant, a member of the daffodil family.
Several of her followers have highlighted that the flowers are poisonous in comments on her photos.
‘In Young’s memoir Shakey, he remembers it as “a nice little town. Sleepy little place. . . . Life was real basic and simple in that town. Walk to school, walk back. Everybody knew who you were. Everybody knew everybody.”’
Don and Ben are on the road, talking to some of the best folks in the food safety world at the NEHA Region 4 conference/FDA Central Region retail food protection seminar in Minneapolis. This recording was an experiment, the first Food Safety Talk recorded in front of a live, non-studio audience. Topics included raw milk, hepatitis A, listener feedback on liquid nitrogen, our favorite Bond movies and least favorite pathogens.
If I paid $300,000 for a membership, the kitchen better be pristine and safe.
As President Donald Trump took office earlier this year, state health inspectors arrived at Mar-a-Lago, the new president’s “winter White House,” for their annual inspection of the the private club’s kitchens. What they found was not pretty. Just weeks before Trump began entertaining world leaders and other dignitaries during his frequent visits to the Florida club, Mar-a-Lago’s restaurant was cited for 13 health code violations in a single inspection, the Miami Herald reported. The infractions included potentially serious violations, including serving dangerously raw fish and keeping raw meat in malfunctioning coolers. The minor violations included not having hot enough water for staff to wash their hands and employees failing to wear hair nets when preparing food. So, how do the kitchens at Trump’s “summer White House” in New Jersey compare? The kitchens at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster — where the president is wrapping up his working vacation — have been cited for at least 17 health code violations during routine inspections between 2011 and 2016, according to records obtained through the state’s Open Public Records Act. The reports included mostly minor infractions in the main kitchen serving the clubhouse restaurant and a smaller kitchen serving the pool-side cafe. Both restaurants are open to members as part of their $300,000 membership fee. The violations included “significant fly activity” in the pool kitchen and main kitchen, dirty wiping cloths, grease-covered fryer units, uncovered and spilled food storage bins, melons stored at the wrong temperature and dirty kitchen utensils with “old and encrusted food buildup.” In each case, the violations were minor enough for the golf club to get a “satisfactory” rating and its restaurants were allowed to remain open.