As the world seemingly lurches to World War III, I’m reminded it’s the little things that add up.
Public Health England says 30 athletes and support staff have been affected by sickness at the Tower Hotel in London.
The International Association of Athletics Federations said Makwala withdrew from Monday’s 200m heats “due to a medical condition on the instruction of the IAAF medical delegate.”
He admitted to vomiting before the heats, but said he was not tested.
“I could have run. I did my warm up well and I was ready to run. I feel ready to run today, tonight,” he said.
Several German and Canadian athletes staying at the Tower Hotel fell ill last week.
A further 30 Germans due to arrive on Tuesday will be moved to other hotels.
German triple jumper Neele Eckhardt collapsed but was well enough to compete on Saturday, and took part in Monday’s final.
The Ireland team, who are also staying at the hotel, have confirmed that one athlete – 400m hurdler Thomas Barr – has been affected.
The Tower Hotel said investigations conducted with environmental health officers and the IAAF had shown the hotel was “not the source of the illness”. That has also been confirmed by Public Health England.
Ireland’s Thomas Barr withdrew from the 400m semifinals, while German and Canadian athletes also staying at The Tower Hotel near Tower Bridge have reportedly been affected too.
In a statement to CNN, Dr Deborah Turbitt, Public Health England (PHE) London deputy director for health protection, said: “We have so far been made aware of approximately 30 people reporting illness and two of these cases have been confirmed as norovirus by laboratory testing.
“PHE has been working closely with British Athletics and the hotel to provide infection control advice to limit the spread of illness.”
Public Health England said most peopled made a full recovery from the illness — often caught through close contact with someone carrying the virus or by touching contaminated surfaces — within one or two days without treatment.
A spokesperson for The Tower Hotel told CNN it was “not the source of the illness,” and that “We have followed strict hygiene protocol, ensuring that those affected are not in contact with other guests and all public areas have been thoroughly sanitized.