A bear visits a Dairy Queen, but it can pee in a cup

50-years-ago there was a Dairy Queen on the main strip where I grew up.

According to my mother, who just e-mailed me (Happy Mother’s Day, mom, you’re the best, that’s her, right, with great-grandson Emerson) it’s still there.

At least one of my Canadian daughters worked at a DQ, but I thought they disappeared decades ago (the DQs, not the daughters).

Nope.

A food handler at Dairy Queen in Ashland, Kentucky, has been diagnosed with hepatitis A, according to the Ashland-Boyd County Health Department.

Dairy Queen stated the store was immediately sanitized and disinfected, and that all employees will be vaccinated before returning to work if they have not already done so.

Vaccines work.

But the truly weird DQ story this week is that a private zoo in Alberta (that’s in Canada) is facing charges after a bear from the facility was taken through a drive-thru Dairy Queen in a pickup truck and hand-fed ice cream through the vehicle’s window.

News of the outing emerged earlier this year after Discovery Wildlife Park, located about 70 miles north of Calgary in the town of Innisfail, posted a video on social media showing a captive Kodiak bear sitting in the passenger seat of a truck.

The video later showed the one-year-old bear, known as Berkley, leaning out of the truck’s window, enthusiastically licking an ice cream cone held by the owner of a local Dairy Queen.

Amid widespread criticism, the video – along with a second one showing Berkley licking frosting off an ice cream cake – was taken down.

At the time, the zoo said the drive-thru run had posed no danger to the public, as it had taken place before the Dairy Queen had opened for the day and that the bear had been secured by a chain throughout the entire outing.

Wildlife officials in Alberta said that the zoo and its owners are now facing two charges. “Under the terms and conditions of the zoo’s permit, the charges are directly related to the alleged failure of the park to notify the provincial government prior to the bear leaving the zoo,” Alberta Fish and Wildlife said in a statement.

One count stems from the bear’s jaunt through the drive-thru, while the other dates back to 2017. At the time Berkley had just arrived as an orphan from a facility in the United States and the zoo allegedly failed to inform officials the seven-pound bear was being taken home nightly so that she could be bottle-fed.

The zoo’s owner, Doug Bos, said he planned to plead guilty to the charges, noting that this was the first time in the zoo’s 28-year history that it was facing such charges.

“We made a mistake. I’m embarrassed about it,” he told the Guardian. “Every time we take an animal off the property, we’re supposed to notify Fish and Wildlife, send them an email, and we forgot to do that in both instances.”

He said he had been happy to hear of the charges. “I’m glad that they followed through with it because it shows how strictly regulated the zoo industry is in the province,” he said. “Because there are so many people out there that think it’s not, they think anybody can just do anything they want.”

Bos said that wildlife officials had not necessarily taken issue with the bear’s outing to Dairy Queen but rather the zoo’s failure to request permission beforehand. “That’s all we did wrong,” he added, noting that the bears have been taken off the property many times for a range of reasons.

“We’ve done lots of TV commercials, Super Bowl commercials with bears and food … Some of them the bear was in a grocery store and wandered up and down the aisles.”

He emphasised the difference between bears in the wild and the zoo’s bears, describing those in the facility as hand-raised and well-trained.

At one point the zoo’s bears had even learned to pee in a cup, he said, in order to participate in a Scottish veterinarian’s study aimed at measuring baseline norms for bears. “These bears aren’t just your average bear that we go snag out of the wild and do this.”

UK boy vomits on stranger’s handbag during flight – mum ordered to pay silly amount

I’d be a lousy surgeon.

I barf at the slightest provocation.

barfblog-tshirt-frontYet at other times I can completely keep it together.

Driving back from Florida, we were almost home and one of the kids barfed.

I lost it at the side of the road.

Yet another time, we flew back after a hurricane, and the kid lost it as we landed, I handled it like a pro, into the barf bag, off the plane and into the garbage.

Life is so uncertain..

Mumsnet user incognitoforonenight writes, “We were on a long haul flight and there was a lot of turbulence.”

“My son vomited everywhere halfway through flight. We cleared it all up. [An] hour later, the lady behind my seat says, ‘hope your son is OK, but he was sick and it’s on my handbag.'”

Naturally, both parents apologised to the lady. But it seems this wasn’t quite enough.

“She says, ‘no, it’s on my handbag, it’s very expensive and you need to get your insurance to pay for it to be repaired / cleaned.'”

The handbag in question was a Louis Vuitton worth £900.

The mum took photos of the bag, and added how the lady had in fact cleaned all the vomit off (which had pooled down to the floor). None remained on the bag. There was no visible damage.

However, the lady insisted “the smell was now ‘ingrained’ in the bag” and has since explained, via email, how Louis Vuitton cannot repair the bag – and the family are liable for a replacement.

Understandably, the mum has reservations.

“Surely, if you have a LV bag worth £900 you do not put it on the floor in an airplane, you’d put in the locker above your seat, especially if you are in an aisle seat

“We haven’t contacted our travel insurance yet, but thought I’d see what others thought. Should she have to contact her own travel insurance? I’m not sure what the ‘norm’ is in a situation like this.”

The responses have been overwhelmingly on the side of the mum.

Fresh From Texas recalls apple product because of Listeria

Fresh from Texas of San Antonio, Texas is voluntarily recalling multiple products containing sliced red apples which are identified below because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes,

No illnesses have been reported to date.

The product was sold by H-E-B stores in Texas.

The recall was the result of internal company testing which indicated the presence of Listeria Monocytogenes in two random samples of the same product. The company has ceased the production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.

Nurse in Brazil accidentally kills hospital patient with coffee injection

Grub Street New York reports a student nurse was just three days into her training at a Rio de Janeiro clinic when she injected an elderly woman with milky coffee by mistake.

The coffee entered the patient’s heart and lungs, drowning her within hours.

The student nurse has been charged with manslaughter.

Julia Roberts covered in bird poop

I do not like the actress Julia Roberts.

Her movies suck, and she wasted a marriage to real talent, Lyle Lovett, back in the 1990s (but it did help Lyle create great art).

Julia now says it was "torture" being covered in bird poo for her latest role in Mirror Mirror.

“All that ‘beauty’ stuff was so disgusting.”

Was it sterilized bird poop? Otherwise Salmonella and Campylobacter. Don’t follow the cooking or food advice of a celebrity wearing bird poop.