In 2004, Salmonella-contaminated Roma tomatoes used in prepared sandwiches sold at Sheetz convenience stores throughout Pennsylvania sickened over 400 consumers. At the time, one customer told a local media outlet she wasn’t worried about the food from Sheetz because she gets diarrhea from her own cooking all the time.
I-get-diarrhea-from-my-own-cooking-all-the-time may not be the best marketing slogan. School officials in Vietnam apparently agree.
The Ho Chi Minh City Department of Education and Training called on the help of district people’s committees to prohibit street eateries from operating in front of schools, apparently in the hopes of preventing acute diarrhea.
Furthermore, administrators have been ordered not to let such restaurants reopen in the future.
Schools have been instructed to work closely with district governments to drive away restaurants deemed unsafe, as well as to ensure school cafeterias serve wholesome, nourishing meals that meet state standards for hygiene.