19-year-old sickened with E. coli at same Egyptian resort linked to E. coli deaths of 2 British tourists

Anna Doherty, 19, spent 11 days in intensive care after being struck down with an E. coli infection at the same Egyptian resort where two British tourists died because of E. coli.

Halfway into her stay at the all-inclusive hotel, Anna recalled how she began to feel extremely unwell, suffering symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea.

After visiting the on-site doctors’ clinic, Anna said she was told she had a water infection and was given an injection and antibiotics.

She began to feel better, but when she returned home to the UK, her condition rapidly deteriorated.

Anna said her family rushed to the Royal Oldham Hospital and she was quickly transferred to The Royal Liverpool Hospital with suspected jaundice.

Doctors in Liverpool originally suspected Anna was suffering from ‘hemolytic uremic syndrome,’ which is commonly caused by a complication from an infection with E coli O157.

They were unable to give a final diagnosis, she said, but believe the previously healthy teenager was struck by a bacterial infection.

Anna told the Manchester Evening News: “It was really scary. I never expected to go away and get this ill.

Tests showed that E. coli was behind the death of two British tourists in a hotel in Egypt’s Red Sea resort of Hurghada, the country’s chief prosecutor said in Sept.

The statement by Prosecutor Nabil Sadek came a week after travel company Thomas Cook said that there was a “high level of E. coli and staphylococcus bacteria” at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel where John and Susan Cooper died Aug. 21 after falling ill in their room in the five-star hotel.

Forensic tests showed that John Cooper, 69, suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by E. coli, and Susan Cooper, 64, suffered hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), likely because of E. coli, Sadek said.