Sno-cones at Kansas zoo made blue with degreaser, not syrup – 4 sickened

Officials at the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita are getting rid of blue sno-cones after a mix-up involving commercial degreaser.

Four people became ill Thursday when a zoo employee poured a degreasing agent into the sno-cone machine instead of flavored syrup.

The two bottles are the same size, shape and color and accidentally got stocked next to each other. A zoo spokeswoman said the employee didn’t read the labels and apologized to families who got sick.

This entry was posted in Food Safety Policy and tagged , , , , by Douglas Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Douglas Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here. Dr. Douglas Powell editor, retired professor, food safety 3/289 Annerley Rd Annerley, Queensland 4103 61478222221 I am based in Brisbane, Australia, 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time