New Food Safety Infosheet:Effects of E. coli O157:H7 linked to grilled burger leaves woman paralyzed

In Sunday’s New York Times, journalist Michael Moss profiled a 2007 outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 linked to ground beef. The tragic story focused on one of the victims, Stephanie Smith, a 22-year-old woman who was in a coma and paralyzed after acquiring the pathogen.

The video (which I can’t seem to embed, but it can be viewed on the Times site) was particularly impactful and shows some of the devastating consequences of foodborne illness.

That story is the focus for this week’s food safety infosheet

Food Safety Infosheet Highlights:
– Ground beef has been linked to at least 16 outbreaks since 2007.
– In 2009, this pathogen led to the recall of beef from nearly 3,000 grocers in 41 states.
– Cook all ground beef to 155°F for 15 seconds or 160°F for an instant kill.
– Clean and sanitize all surfaces (cutting boards, counters) where ground beef items were prepared.

The food safety infosheet can be downloaded here.

This entry was posted in E. coli and tagged , , , by Ben Chapman. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ben Chapman

Dr. Ben Chapman is a professor and food safety extension specialist at North Carolina State University. As a teenager, a Saturday afternoon viewing of the classic cable movie, Outbreak, sparked his interest in pathogens and public health. With the goal of less foodborne illness, his group designs, implements, and evaluates food safety strategies, messages, and media from farm-to-fork. Through reality-based research, Chapman investigates behaviors and creates interventions aimed at amateur and professional food handlers, managers, and organizational decision-makers; the gate keepers of safe food. Ben co-hosts a biweekly podcast called Food Safety Talk and tries to further engage folks online through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and, maybe not surprisingly, Pinterest. Follow on Twitter @benjaminchapman.