California petting zoo pays over $2 million after 2-year-old stricken with E. coli

Five years after a young Fresno, Calif. girl became critically ill following a visit to the Big Fresno Fair, the fair has agreed to pay her more than two-million dollars.

Angela Malos was just two-years-old when her parents brought her to the fair … weeks later the child was barely alive. She suffered kidney failure and several strokes. Her family said they are relieved the legal battle is over, but Angela still has lingering health problems.

Angela Malos was awarded 2.2-million dollars … 2.15-millon from the fair, and an additional 50-thousand from Port O Sans, that’s the company that supplied the hand washing stations.

Outside court, the attorney representing the fair denied any responsibility.

Warren Paboojian, Angela Malos’ Attorney said, "They paid 2.15-million dollars, they can say what they want. She got the E. coli bacteria at the Fresno Fair and that’s why they are paying 2.15-million dollars."

"The insurance carriers for the fair decided it was in their best interest to settle the case," said Weakley.

Malos says his daughter is still not back to normal … Angela has suffered long term effects from the bacteria. She requires additional care, even when she’s in school.

Several other children reported getting sick after visiting the petting zoo, but Angela’s injuries were the most severe. Each case is being handled separately.

The Great American Petting Zoo was also listed in the lawsuit; they have yet to reach any settlement because their insurance company has denied coverage. A judge will have to hear that matter as well.