New Food Safety Infosheet: Illinois Subway linked to Shigella sonnei outbreak

My son Jack is almost 2 and has spread a whole load of illness through our house this week (fun stuff). A couple of his contemporary playmates had some suspected norovirus last week and likely the same thing has made our toliets work overtime. 

A 2-year-old boy in Illinois also experienced foodborne illness symptoms, although more serious than what we dealt with, in late February, after eating food from a Subway restaurant. The little boy, son of Ron and Sarah Bowers, has been identified as part of an outbreak of Shigella sonnei along with at least 20 other patrons.

This week’s food safety infosheet, a graphical one-page food safety-related story directed at food handlers, focuses on the outbreak.

Click here to download the food safety infosheet.

This entry was posted in Other Microorganisms and tagged , , by Ben Chapman. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ben Chapman

Dr. Ben Chapman is a professor and food safety extension specialist at North Carolina State University. As a teenager, a Saturday afternoon viewing of the classic cable movie, Outbreak, sparked his interest in pathogens and public health. With the goal of less foodborne illness, his group designs, implements, and evaluates food safety strategies, messages, and media from farm-to-fork. Through reality-based research, Chapman investigates behaviors and creates interventions aimed at amateur and professional food handlers, managers, and organizational decision-makers; the gate keepers of safe food. Ben co-hosts a biweekly podcast called Food Safety Talk and tries to further engage folks online through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and, maybe not surprisingly, Pinterest. Follow on Twitter @benjaminchapman.