14 sick with E. coli from water at Missouri sports complex

Daughter Sorenne is comfortably sleeping through the night now, at 17-months-old, so I decided it was time to get off my lard ass and get moving again.

I like to rise early and bike about 15 miles (an hour) on my recumbent cycle (right, not exactly as shown) in the basement. I’ve got a table set up so I can use my computer, and I sweat volumes. I go through a couple of liters of water.

I’m confident in the municipal water supply because it is tested routinely. Bottled water is a complete waste. Except maybe if you work out at the Class Act Sports Complex, 2336 County Road 301, which is just outside the city of Jackson, Missouri.

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services reports that at least 14 people have fallen ill after drinking water at the sports complex. Four people have been hospitalized.

Officials with the Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center tested water from a drinking fountain and a faucet within the facility and confirmed the presence of E. coli in both samples. The sports complex, which is served by a private well, shut off its water last Thursday at the urging of local health officials.

It would be useful if the strain of E. coli was provided in future public announcements.

This entry was posted in E. coli and tagged , , by Douglas Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Douglas Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of barfblog.com, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here. Dr. Douglas Powell editor, barfblog.com retired professor, food safety 3/289 Annerley Rd Annerley, Queensland 4103 dpowell29@gmail.com 61478222221 I am based in Brisbane, Australia, 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time