Ontario restaurant sickened 5 in 2007; conviction still stands in 2010

In May, 2007, five patrons of the Yaman Restaurant in St. Catherines, Ontario (that’s by Niagara Falls) got sick with E. coli.

The problems started when owners Mahmoud Asaad and Senan Daoud continued to run their business on May 19, 2007, despite the fact water to the restaurant was cut off due to a water-main break. The restaurant was shut down by the region that month, but reopened with a clean bill of health in August that year.

The two were convicted in 2009 on five counts each of selling food unfit for human consumption, and were fined $7,500 each.

The St. Catharines Standard reports that Judge Ann Watson said today in a written decision the 2009 convictions by another judge would stand in relation to four of five patrons.