KTUU reports the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services is investigating four cases of people who became sick after drinking bacteria-contaminated raw milk from a Mat-Su Valley farm.
??According to DHSS spokesperson Greg Wilkinson, state law doesn’t allow the sale of raw milk, but does permit owning shares of an animal to receive its milk — which doesn’t have to be tested or pasteurized it’s distributed.??
The four people infected with Campylobacter jejuni bacteria from May 7 through June 4 were Southcentral Alaska residents ranging in age from 1 to 81 years old. All four experienced severe stomach flu after drinking raw milk from one of the unnamed farm’s cows, and two said family members also experienced symptoms but did not seek medical attention.