Two in critical condition after eating mushrooms

Two people that were taken to a Canberra hospital after eating poisonous mushrooms on the weekend remain in a critical condition and are now en route to a Sydney facility for treatment.

A third person who was with them was being treated at Canberra Hospital.

The trio, who cannot be named, went to Calvary Hospital on New Year’s Day after becoming ill from eating death cap mushrooms, a spokesman for ACT Health said.

A spokesman for Calvary Hospital said admissions involving mushroom poisoning were rare.

ACT Health said death cap mushrooms are usually found in Canberra in autumn, near oak trees, but recent summer rain has encouraged growth of the mushrooms.