Two people have died and two others sickened in a listeria outbreak linked to hospital food in New Zealand.
The two elderly women died after contracting listeria found in meat supplied to the Hawkes Bay Hospital.
Hawke’s Bay Today reports the cause of the women’s deaths – in June and this month – were reported a day after the recall notices were placed in newspapers by Napier company Bay Cuisine.
The company supplies the hospital’s kitchen and cafeteria, and the Mad Butcher and Preston shop chains.
The products included Mad Butcher 500g salami and pepperoni rolls.
The products, as well as Ratanui Hams and EZY Carve boneless leg ham, are sold in Mad Butcher and Preston stores in Wellington, Porirua and Palmerston North.
Four patients with listeria went to the Hastings hospital between May and June but the Hawkes Bay District Health Board said it was still unclear if they had contracted the illness while in its care.
However, it could not completely rule out the possibility.