The grappa can be good, but not when it’s made with biodiesel.
Three young Queensland men who died of suspected methanol poisoning drank a batch of alcohol that was meant to be used in biodiesel, not for human consumption, a neighbour says.
Joel Lynam and Vincent Summers, both 21, and 30-year-old Bryan Wilmot all died.
Media reports say they drank a dodgy batch of home-brewed Italian spirit grappa at Mr Lynam’s parent’s Ballandean property.
But neighbour and winemaker Angelo Puglisi says the reports are wrong and the alcohol had been brewed by Joel Lynam’s father for use in biofuel, not for human consumption.
“This ‘grappa’ that everyone is talking about was being produced to make diesel and somehow these young fellas got hold of it,” he told AAP.
“They just made a mistake and whole thing’s been blown out of proportion.”
The doctor treating sole survivor Josh Lynam, 26, who is in a serious but stable condition, said he may escape with minor eye damage.