400 sickened in 2012; Singapore hotel licensee fined $20,000

The licensee of a restaurant linked to five outbreaks of food poisoning was fined $20,000 for selling food that was unfit for consumption.

BCH Hotel Investment, the licensee of Man Fu Yuan Restaurant, pleaded guilty last week through its general manager to five charges of providing signature-stewed-lobsterfood at four wedding banquets and a dinner and dance event at Hotel InterContinental which resulted in more than 400 guests falling ill.

The offences occurred between Dec 26 and Dec 30, 2012.