Mother’s Day is ripe for food poisoning in Australia.
This year, a Melbourne restaurant co-owned by George Calombaris is under investigation over a food poisoning outbreak following a Mother’s Day luncheon.
And this dude is a judge on the Australian TV crap show, MasterChef.
The Greek restaurant reportedly welcomed 600 diners through its doors on Mother’s Day.
“It’s completely put us through the wringer,” an unnamed victim told Fairfax Media.
“My wife was vomiting all day yesterday and most of Sunday night. This stuff shouldn’t happen at a restaurant like this.”
But fancy food doesn’t mean safe food; and celebrity chefs can be food safety morons.
A spokeswoman for Calombaris’ company, Made Establishment, said there was “no evidence as to the cause of this,” but confirmed they had received a call on Tuesday from a customer who had felt unwell after dining at Hellenic Republic on Sunday.
The spokeswoman added: “We are working closely together with Boroondara Council and health authorities to discover the cause.
“The welfare and enjoyment of our guests is of utmost importance to us and we are committed to resolving this as our highest priority.”