‘Worms in the pool, uncooked meals and flies on food’ UK newlyweds sue Thailand hotel

A newly married couple are suing a four-star hotel after the bride fell violently ill and was hospitalized after contracting a serious infection while on their dream honeymoon in Asia. 

The Daily Mail reports that Paul, 36, and Xanta Watts, from Kettering, Northamptonshire, spent £10,000 on a three-week tour of Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand – where the bride started to feel unwell.

Koh Yao Resort Boutique Beach Resort & SpaWhile staying at the four-star Paradise Koh Yao Resort Boutique Beach Resort & Spa on Koh Yao Noi Island near Phuket, Xanta, 29, suffered diarrhoea, vomiting and severe stomach cramps. 

She fell violently ill and was hospitalized for seven days after contracting Paratyphoid – a disease caused by the salmonella bacteria – diagnosed when she returned to the UK.

The couple claim they saw worm-like creatures in the swimming pools and fresh food being piled on top of old dishes at the luxury resort. 

A spokesman for Kuoni said: ‘We take any claims surrounding the health and well-being of our customers very seriously indeed and we are currently investigating this case.’