That was the statement from SSE Hydro arena in Glasgow as the number stricken by E. coli O157 climbed in Feb. 2014.
Eventually at least 22 people were stricken, and a new report concludes it was due to under-cooking of beef burgers at the venue.
Of the 22 confirmed cases, a total of 19 of those cases attended had eaten beef burgers at the SSE Hydro’s food stall, Big Grill, between Friday 17 and Sunday 19 January 2014.
The remaining three individuals were infected after having household contact with the initial cases.
An investigation by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) alongside other public health bodies found evidence “strongly suggesting processing errors leading to under-cooking as well as the potential for cross contamination” at The Hydro.
The report concluded: “Descriptive evidence gathered by environmental health officers strongly suggests processing errors leading to under-cooking as well as the potential for cross contamination in the preparation and serving of the beef burger products.
“These processing errors would provide plausible mechanisms for exposure to VTEC (a strain of E coli).”
Health inspectors then visited the popular music venue after reports of the infection to examine how food was prepared by staff.
They found that preparation of food at “The Big Grill” at the venue involved a lack of consistency in the searing and cooking process of burgers.
Inspectors observed inadequacy of temperature monitoring records and weaknesses in temperature monitoring of food to test how cooked items were by staff.
It was also discovered there was “an inappropriate cleaning and disinfection regime, and an absence of documented evidence of a hazard analysis” at the venue.
All of the 19 confirmed primary cases had eaten a six ounce burger served on a bread bun from the Big Grill stall.”