Lizard in food? 350 school children hospitalized in India

Around 350 children of a government-run Urdu Primary School were hospitalised on Friday for suspected food poisoning after partaking mid-day meal.

MDM-schemeThe children with complaints of head ache, stomach ache and vomiting were taken to Dr Ambedkar Medical College Hospital with anxious parents swarming the premises, making it tough for police to control them.

Speaking to reporters, Health Minister U T Khader, who visited the hospital, said “around 350 students have fallen ill and have been admitted to Ambedkar Hospital. Most of them have returned home after getting the treatment.”

The children were brought to the hospital at around 3.30 pm with complaints of vomiting sensation, Anjaneya, Manager, Ananda Social and Educational Trust which runs the hospital, said.

He said doctors were told that a lizard was found in the food served to the children.

A school teacher said she found a lizard in the food soon after which they stopped serving it.

The Akshaya Patra Foundation, which supplies food to schools, in a statement the Akshaya Patra kitchens are ISO 22000 certified and follows a strict hygiene adherence while cooking. “All the kitchens of Akshaya Patra follow a standard process for preparing the mid-day meals. This process is charted out to ensure hygiene and quality of the cooked meal and also to adhere to the food safety standards.”

This entry was posted in E. coli by Doug Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Doug Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of barfblog.com, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here.