Reason to use different colored bottles: 28 children accidentally drink bleach at N.J. day care

Twenty-eight children and two adults accidentally drank bleach at a day care center in Jersey City on Thursday, according to officials.

the_first_bleach_bottle_by_thebleachbottle-d5h2xeyThe children, aged 3 and 4, were evaluated and taken from the day care center, Growing Tree II, to Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health. The children were in stable condition and expected to be released to their parents, officials said.

“We don’t think the amount they ingested is significant,” said hospital spokesman Mark Rabson.

Hospital officials were not clear how or why bleach was ingested by the children and staff.

Dr. Steven M. Marcus, the executive director of New Jersey Poison Information and Education System, said such accidents are fairly common. Hotels, restaurants and other food service outlets are required to regularly sanitize certain areas, and often use bleach and water as the solution. Despite warnings by the poison center against it, workers will often put the solution in a container — such as a brand-name water bottle or gallon jug — that can be mistaken for water.