150 villagers taken ill for suspected food poisoning in India

At least 150 villagers were taken ill after eating food at a death ritual in Kalyan area, police said today.

srihari-final-rituals_1381381007According to API S B More of Bazarpeth Police Station in Kalyan, the incident took place late last night after the victims consumed sweets at the ritual in Koni village following the demise of one Sakharam Balaram Mhatre.

Soon after the ritual, guests and relatives of the deceased in the village including women and children began complaining of giddiness and started vomiting, police said.

The samples of the served ‘Dhoodhi Halwa’ (a sweet preparation of milk and gourd), brought from a local shop have been collected and sent for testing, police said. Also, offences have been registered under section 272, 273 of the IPC and Food Safety and Security Act 2006 against shop owner Hydera Ali Rasulbhai Palsania, police said.