Local health officials said they hope a norovirus outbreak in Buena Vista that left approximately 20 people ill in mid-November will serve as a reminder to area restaurants and food providers to be extra cautious.
The Mountain Mail reports Chaffee County Public Health received complaints from five people saying they were ill after eating food from the Subway in Buena Vista, according to a restaurant inspection report.
Lab tests on samples from the five individuals all tested positive for norovirus.
Public Health estimates roughly 20 people, mostly students at Buena Vista High School, might have fallen ill in the outbreak.
An investigation by Chaffee County Environmental Health Manager Victor Crocco, who declined to name the restaurant, found that one employee reported feeling ill the day after the illness was originally reported.
Subway manager Brandon Alexander said he did not recall any of the employees being sick around the time of the outbreak.
Crocco’s investigation led him to conclude a sick employee, and not a larger food contamination, most likely caused the contamination.
Alexander said he doesn’t remember anything like this happening in his 8 years at the restaurant.