Couple sue Whole Foods in son’s E. coli death

I’ve said it many times: Whole Foods is too concerned about food porn and not enough about food safety.

AR-141216756According to the Boston Herald a Braintree couple whose 8-year-old son died after allegedly eating ground beef contaminated with a powerful strain of E. coli is suing the grocery chain that sold the meat and the ranch that allegedly produced and processed it.

Melissa and Andrew Kaye yesterday filed suit against Whole Foods Market and Missouri-based Rain Crow Ranch.

“This lawsuit is about bringing awareness to the issue of food safety and forcing change where it needs to be made,” Melissa Kaye told the Herald.

The Kayes bought the grass-fed ground beef that they blame for their son Joshua’s July 7 death at a Whole Foods in South Weymouth, according to the lawsuit that was filed in U.S. District Court in Boston.

Two other people who bought grass-fed beef from a Whole Foods in Newton also got sick in June, a recall announcement and the lawsuit state.

Whole Foods issued an Aug. 15 recall of ground beef products due to possible E. coli contamination after the state Department of Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and federal Food Safety and Inspection Service determined the link.

Whole Foods — which said it couldn’t comment on specifics of the litigation — expressed its “heartfelt condolences” to the boy’s family, but added there is no “clear link” to the business.