When I was a grad student I played in a few co-ed slopitch baseball tournaments close to Guelph, Ontario (that’s in Canada). These tournaments consisted of a lot of beer drinking and my team (which completed in the Guelph restaurant league) wasn’t great. We played one tournament in Palmerston and on the way home we stopped for greasy hamburgers at a place called Marj’s in Alma. I don’t remember much about the meal. Just that we stopped.
Marj’s, according to the Guelph Mercury, is dealing with a hepatitis A exposure situation.
Anyone who ate at Marj’s Village Kitchen in Alma between Jan. 2 and 20 is advised to get a Hepatitis A vaccination as soon as possible, Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health reports.
Dr. Nicola Mercer, medical officer of health, has confirmed that an employee at the restaurant has a confirmed case of Hepatitis A and anyone who ate there in the first part of January could be at risk of infection.
“The source is no longer working at the restaurant so there is no further risk at this restaurant,” Mercer said in an interview. “We are not out to be punitive.
“But Marj’s is extremely popular—it’s always busy. There could be many hundreds who have been exposed.”
Mercer is urging customers who ate at the restaurant between Jan. 2 and Jan. 20 to get a Hepatitis A vaccine as soon as possible.