You see a lizard, I see foodborne illness: 36 students vomit after eating dish in India

As many as 36 students of a government school in Ulupakkudi area complained of nausea after eating ‘paniyaram’ from a roadside eatery which had parts of lizard in it, police said.

kuzhi-paniyaram-recipe-1Paniyaram is a fried dish available both in sweet and spicy form.

The students from class 1 to 8 complained of vomiting after consuming the dish, sold by a woman outside the school.

Could that purple thing be replaced with a tip-sensitive digital thermometer?

This entry was posted in Wacky and Weird and tagged , , by Douglas Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Douglas Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here. Dr. Douglas Powell editor, retired professor, food safety 3/289 Annerley Rd Annerley, Queensland 4103 61478222221 I am based in Brisbane, Australia, 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time