Public health officials on Thursday said Staphylococcus aureus was found in samples of food served at Sunnyside Child Care Center’s two locations, Mary McIntyre of the Alabama Department of Public Health said.
Staphylococcus aureus is known for causing food poisoning, skin infections and other medical issues. Children were admitted to local hospitals with vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and other symptoms Tuesday. Most of the children were between ages 1 and 4.
State health officer Don Williamson has said the food was likely served during an 11 a.m. lunch period and reports of sick children started coming in about 3 p.m. Foods the children were served included bologna, chicken and apples, Williamson said.