South Carolina boy, 2, dies of E. coli complications

A 2-year-old boy from Greenwood, SC, has died from complications related to E. coli infection, according to Greenwood County Coroner Sonny Cox.

Myles Mayfield reportedly died Sunday night at Greenville Memorial Hospital.

On Monday, the local school district posted a letter indicating that the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) was investigating a potential Shiga toxin-producing (STEC) infection at Springfield Elementary School.

“We take these matters very seriously,” stated Superintendent Darrell Johnson in the letter. “We are very concerned about the health and well-being of every student and adult at Springfield and in our district.”

Johnson said that the elementary school has been sanitized and that district officials would be working with DHEC personnel to monitor the situation.

In a June 1 letter to parents and guardians of Springfield Elementary School students, DHEC officials explained what STEC is and how it is spread. The letter also provided guidance about what to do if someone becomes ill (contact a health care provider), along with how to prevent E. coli infection through specific cooking and cleaning tips.