‘No substantiated evidence of very rare’ outbreak: Dundee firm linked to venison E. coli outbreak

Blame the consumer, Bambi edition.

hqdefaultRaw venison products distributed by a company in Dundee have been linked to an outbreak of E. coli which affected nine people across Scotland.

An investigation by Health Protection Scotland found a link to certain products produced by Highland Game.

Nine people contracted the same strain of E. coli O157 after eating venison purchased raw and cooked at home.

Highland Game said there was “no substantiated evidence” of the source of the “very rare” outbreak.

Food Standards Scotland said the affected products, including Scottish Slimmers venison sausages, Scottish Slimmers venison meatballs, grillsteaks, and venison steaks with pepper sauce, had use-by dates from 4 September to 1 October.

A spokesman said the products “should not present a risk to health if they are handled and cooked properly”, but said consumers should contact the company or retailer if they had concerns.

He added: “Food Standards Scotland is working closely with Highland Game, who have confirmed that they have taken immediate precautionary action.”

A spokeswoman for Highland Game said a full inspection of the Dundee premises had been undertaken and “every assistance” given to FSS.

Scottish Slimmers venison sausagesShe said: “This is a very rare incident and venison has an excellent track record of safety and standards, and there is no substantiated evidence to support the actual source of the outbreak.

“Our stringent hygiene controls at Highland Game are second to none, however as with all meats there can be a risk of contamination somewhere in the food chain.”

Stephen Gibbs, chairman of the Scottish Venison Partnership, added: “We believe this is an isolated, rogue incident in an industry that has an exemplary record in terms of food safety. Consumers should have every confidence in continuing to eat venison – but we cannot stress enough that storage and cooking instructions should be carefully followed exactly, as with any other meat product, as well as good personal hygiene in relation to food preparation.”