Fancy food ain’t safe food – Egypt edition

Lawyers are investigating after a UK pensioner was hospitalized for five days and diagnosed with Salmonella food poisoning after holidaying at a luxury Egyptian resort.

John Middleton claims he caught food poisoning while holidaying in Egypt.

John Middleton claims he caught food poisoning while holidaying in Egypt.

John Middleton, 65, went on a two-week break to the five-star Sunrise Select Royal Makadi resort with his family in September.

On the final day of his holiday, John, who booked his trip through tour operator Thomas Cook, woke in the early hours with crippling stomach cramps and severe diarrhea.

The retired factory worker was examined by the hotel doctor and given an injection in his thigh to help ease his symptoms for his flight home.

When he arrived home in Sherburn Village, he tested positive for salmonella, a bacterial infection which can be caused by food poisoning.

John said: “When you book a luxury resort that is exactly what you should get.

“I had to suffer the emotional and physical trauma of being severely ill during the flight home. When you return home from a holiday you want to feel rested and relaxed. Instead I had to be admitted to hospital for five days, and I am still suffering from symptoms months down the line.”