A teenager who contracted a potentially fatal strain of E. coli during a First Choice holiday from hell in Turkey has been awarded a bumper six-figure payout.
Bradie Perkins, who lives with his parents in Earl Shilton, Leicester, was 13-years-old when he travelled to a notorious “super-sized” beachfront complex with his family in Sarigerme in October 2010.
But the teen started to feel lethargic and tired during his last few days staying at the Holiday Village Turkey – which has featured on the BBC’s Watchdog programme.
After returning home to Britain, Bradie had to be rushed to hospital twice because of severe diarrhoea, stomach cramps, dehydration and other gastric symptoms.
He was eventually diagnosed with E. coli and giardiasis as well as a kidney condition known as hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).
Bradie was forced to have dialysis treatment but tests in June 2014 found his kidneys had been left functioning at just two-thirds of their normal ability because of the damage caused by the illness.
Tour operator TUI UK Limited – trading as First Choice Holidays and Flights Limited – initially denied liability throughout the five-year claim.
But the case was eventually settled last month just four weeks before a trial was due to begin.
Bradie, who is now 18, has now received a substantial six-figure settlement after medical experts concluded that his kidneys were so badly damaged there’s a possibility they could fail in the future.
His family told lawyers that food from previous meals was often re-used at the Holiday Village Turkey the next day and that cold food was sometimes topped up with hot food.
They found that meals were often undercooked and left uncovered while flies, insects and even cats were seen in the restaurant.
The family said there were also instances where the pool was closed due to children defecating in the water but the family never saw the pool drained and re-filled.