An Ennis family says the CDC is investigating after their 2-year-old was exposed to a dangerous strain of E.coli.
“He’s usually up, rambunctious, running around,” said his mother, Lindsey Montgomery. “I’m ready for my little boy to be back.”
The family took a trip to Oklahoma two weeks ago, cooling down in a hotel pool and at a natural spring.
“I’d never heard of people swimming and get E. oli,” said his father, John Huston.
Unfortunately, many, many people have been identified as getting sick with Shiga-toxin producing E. coli from swimming, water parks, or water supplies.
“Three, four days later, Landon’s got fever, diarrhea, really sick,” said Montgomery.
But by the time a test confirmed E.coli, his kidneys were shutting down. Montgomery said the CDC interviewed her trying to determine the source of the infection.
“They asked me where he had been, what food he had ate, any restaurants,” she said.
Dr. Jeffrey Kahn, Children’s Health Chief of Pediatric Infections Diseases, said it’s normal for a case like this to trigger a public health investigation.
“That suggests that there’s some contamination somewhere. It’s usually water or food and typically that means it’s not just one individual who’s been exposed,” he said.