On Friday, Alberta Health Services said the E. coli outbreak linked to certain pork products in the province was officially over.
AHS started investigating a number of confirmed cases on March 29.
The outbreak was connected to some pork products sold and distributed by The Meat Shop at Pine Haven. Several other businesses were impacted since they used the affected pork products and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issued a food recall.
In total, there were 42 lab-confirmed cases of E. coli linked to this outbreak.
Thirteen patients needed medical treatment at the hospital and one person “died likely due to infection with E. coli,” AHS said.
“Our thoughts remain with the family of the patient who died and all of those affected by this,” said Dr. Jasmine Hasselback, medical officer of health for the Edmonton zone. “We would like to thank our federal and provincial partners for their collaboration on this investigation.”