A few years ago, my family and I embarked on a trip an all-inclusive resort in Mexico, a little get away from the hectic day to day musings in our lives. First day I decided to go for a jog and was bitten by a wild dog travelling in a pack. I was shipped off to Cancun to start rabies postexposure prophylaxis. Second day, contracted norovirus. Third day almost left.
Colette Crampsey of the The Daily Record reports:
Reece Russell and John English both fell ill after eating at all-inclusive resorts in Cancun.
Two holidaymakers have told of their ordeals after being crippled by food poisoning bugs in Mexico.
Reece Russell, 28, was infected with salmonella, which led to inflammation around his heart.
And John English, 51, ended up in hospital with bacterial gastritis. He has been left with long-term health problems and has had to give up being a football coach.
Both men fell ill after travelling to all-inclusive resorts in Cancun.
Reece, from Dunfermline, went to the resort with his parents and sister in June.
He said: “About a week after I came home, I started falling very ill. I woke up at 1am with chest pains. In hospital, a blood test showed I had a high level of protein in my blood caused by possible heart attacks.”
Reece was diagnosed with myopericarditis –inflammation of the membrane and muscle around the heart. Tests showed salmonella was to blame.
He said: “The doctors implied that if I hadn’t gone to hospital when I did, it would have been significantly worse.”
Engineer Reece, who stayed at the Bahia Principe, had to miss two weeks of work. He is seeking compensation from travel firm TUI.
John stayed at Moon Palace hotel with wife Janice and their two children in July.
After eating at a Brazilian restaurant, the Scottish Gas worker was violently sick and was whisked to hospital.
John said: “They told me my magnesium levels were very low. If that happens, your organs can shut down and you can die. It was quite frightening.”
The couple had to fork out £4000 for treatment and a further £1500 on John’s release the next day.
He said: “I’ve lost 2st and doctors have told me my blood pressure is through the roof. I could be on tablets for the rest of my life.
“I’m having to give up football coaching, which is very hard for me.”
A Thomas Cook spokesman said: “We are sorry to hear Mr English became ill. We advise customers to tell their rep or hotel staff immediately if they are unwell so they can get the right support.”
A spokesman for TUI said: “We will be contacting Mr Russell directly to review the matter.
“We regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.”