We haven’t had a problem for 22 years so why train staff?

The Manchester Evening News reports that in June 2006, eight people who dined at Fu’s restaurant on Manchester Road, Mossley, U.K., suffered food poisoning and contacted Tameside Council environmental health department. Eventually, 12 complaints of salmonella were reported.

Environmental health officers visited, and found cooked duck stored in cardboard boxes where raw poultry had been, dirty chopping boards and no cleaning or drying equipment for the hand basin near the staff toilets.

Directors of the Cantonese restaurant pleaded guilty to eight offences under food hygiene laws at Tameside magistrates’ court Dec. 28/07, and were fined £14,000.

A major shareholder was cited as saying he didn’t ensure staff had sufficient hygiene training because he had been trading 22 years without a problem.

This entry was posted in Food Safety Policy, Restaurant Inspection and tagged , , by Douglas Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Douglas Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of barfblog.com, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here. Dr. Douglas Powell editor, barfblog.com retired professor, food safety 3/289 Annerley Rd Annerley, Queensland 4103 dpowell29@gmail.com 61478222221 I am based in Brisbane, Australia, 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time