Emma Langlands will farewell Sarah Carter who died while they and a third friend, Amanda Eliason, were holidaying in Chiang Mai.
The university friends, all aged 23, suffered food poisoning after eating from a market near their hotel.
Just two days later – on Waitangi Day – Ms Carter was dead.
Ms Langlands, who was the least affected of the group, is now back home in Hamilton.
Her father, Richard Langlands, yesterday told the Herald that his daughter would pay her respects at Ms Carter’s funeral.
Ms Eliason, however, will not be able to attend. She is still in Thailand and is not yet well enough to fly.
The three women, who travelled to Thailand for a short holiday, were admitted to Chiang Mai Ram Hospital last week.
It was first reported that they had become sick after eating toxic seaweed but their families later said they had ordered curry.
Ms Carter and Ms Eliason required emergency heart procedures but Ms Carter lost her battle.
A spokesman from the Chiang Mai public health office told the Herald that results sent to a laboratory for testing were not expected for another two weeks.