A Chinese restaurant in Port Talbot town centre was in such an unhygienic state when health watchdogs visited that they ordered its closure on the spot.
The kitchen at the Golden Dragon in Station Road was found to be dirty, with filthy chopping boards and other cleanliness issues, including a lack of hand washing among staff.
This Is South Wales reports it was only allowed to reopen after owner Chao Yang Chi had improved conditions so they did not pose a risk to public health.
But Chi was then prosecuted for breaking food hygiene laws. He has been ordered to pay almost £1,000 after the council’s case against him was brought before magistrates in Neath.
A council spokeswoman said: "During a routine inspection a year ago, council environmental health staff found dirty floors, walls and cooking equipment. There was also a lack of hand washing amongst staff when handling raw and cooked meat. Chopping boards were filthy and storerooms were dirty and structurally poor.
The owner pleaded guilty after being prosecuted for six food hygiene charges under the Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006.
Neath Port Talbot Council is involved in the Food Standards Agency’s National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme . Businesses in this area can be checked at: www.food.gov.uk/ratings.