The Mandarin Palace Restaurant in Fredericton, New Brunswick (that’s in Canada) was closed after decomposing bear meat was found in a cooler during a routine inspection this week.
The meat, found in the on Tuesday, was turned over to the Department of Natural Resources. An investigation is ongoing.
The restaurant was closed because of concerns the bear meat could have contaminated other contents in the cooler, but the risk to public health is very low, the Department of Health said in a statement.
An inspection record posted on the government’s website said, "Food must be purchased from an approved source. Wild animals are not approved."
The restaurant will remain closed until the cooler has been properly cleaned.
Samples of the bear meat have been sent out to test for trichinella, a parasite that can be transmitted to humans through consumption of raw or undercooked infected bear meat.