Norovirus confirmed in Michigan hockey rink barfing outbreak

Wayne County health officials confirmed today that the outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea that sent nearly 100 people to area hospitals Sunday from a hockey tournament at the Taylor Sportsplex was caused by a fast-spreading norovirus.

The Detroit Free Press reports the Sportsplex reopened Thursday, and "the majority of individuals who suffered norovirus symptoms have recovered or have nearly recovered — they’re showing the classic progression of the virus running its course." Wayne County Department of Health spokeswoman Mary Mazur said.

The city-owned building was shut down Sunday night so that water and air testing could be performed, and the entire building has been disinfected, Mazur said Friday. It had been scheduled to reopen Wednesday, but managers of the facilities "decided to err on the side of caution" and gave an additional day to the clean-up and testing, she said.

This entry was posted in Norovirus and tagged , , , , by Douglas Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Douglas Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here. Dr. Douglas Powell editor, retired professor, food safety 3/289 Annerley Rd Annerley, Queensland 4103 61478222221 I am based in Brisbane, Australia, 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time