The Crow’s Nest, an Indian and Pakistani cuisine restaurant in North Sydney, has been fined $85,00 for more than 15 different food safety violations that took place between 2011 and the present date.
Mike Stewart of Australian Food Safety News writes this type of fine is considered the worst that could be given, used only when the types of violation are so serious that they truly put public safety at risk.
Some of the violations that the restaurant was found guilty by the North Sydney Food Council for included:
• serious cockroach infestation;
• no hot water available in kitchen;
• walls, floors, and shelves were covered in grease and grime, creating food safety concerns as well as fire hazards;
• food was being stored in broken containers;
• chopping boards were not being cleaned properly; and,
• refrigerators were not functioning properly or were not sealed to keep cold air in.
The owner of the Crow’s Nest indicates that more than $40,000 have been poured into reconstruction and maintenance to ensure the restaurant is no longer in violation. Additionally, the owner indicated that the exterminators visit every six weeks now to ensure that roaches are completely eradicated from the location.