90 sick; poor refrigeration of jam likely cause of fair food poisoning

The cronut craze seems to be receding, but not until at least 90 people were sickened after consuming cronut burgers at the cronut2Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto last month.

But it wasn’t the cronuts – it was probably a uniquely Canadian product, maple bacon jam served with the cronut burger.

Toronto Public Health says inadequate refrigeration probably caused the outbreak of Staphylococcus aureus.

While the brown sugar and maple syrup results came back negative, the bacon tested positive, but for different bacteria. The bacterial toxin found in jam samples from both Le Dolci and Epic Burgers was cronut.t.shirt.aug.13actually produced from a different strain of Staphylococcus aureus than that found in the bacon.