Sheena Blackhall was a 16-year-old schoolgirl when Aberdeen was brought to its knees by the largest typhoid outbreak in recent British history 50 years ago.
More than 500 people of all ages had to be quarantined in hospital.
The infection was eventually traced back to a single tin of Argentinean corned beef sold in a supermarket.
In reality, and somewhat remarkably, the outbreak was contained without a single related death.
Most patients spent many weeks in hospital until they were allowed home.
Ms Blackhall told BBC Scotland: “The GP that we had had been in a Japanese prisoner of war camp so he knew right away that I had typhoid and phoned for an ambulance, by which time I had a very high temperature and I was delirious.
“I remember nothing about this but apparently when they took me down the stairs I said ‘dinna cremate me! I want to be buried!’ – which upset everybody.
An inquiry into the outbreak later found that a large can of Argentinean corned beef had been sold sliced from the cold meat counter of the William Low supermarket.
The can had been cooled in Argentina using untreated water from a river.
The typhoid organism was assumed to have entered the meat through a small hole in the seam of the can.
It was then passed on to anyone who bought the corned beef, or other products which had come into contact with the shop’s meat slicer.
The media attention helped raise the importance of cleanliness and hygiene.
Hygiene lessons from the Aberdeen typhoid outbreak are still relevant today.
Prof Hugh Pennigton, the renowned bacteriologist, said it was an “enormous” outbreak.