A wedding party with 80 guests – including 60 serving police officers – fell ill with norovirus after being served food ‘unfit for human consumption’.
Pub owners John Horsley, 64, and wife Lynda, 63, have been fined £10,000 for using dirty cleaning equipment and unclean food at the party.
They admitted three charges of breaching food hygiene laws at Torquay Magistrates Court and were fined £4,999 each.
Environmental health inspectors found unacceptable levels of bacteria on a towel used for hand drying and a pot sponge after the party last year.
The court heard how the couple failed to keep premises clean and have a proper system in place to check hygiene.
They were also found to have been unable to comply with food safety requirements.