Two newborns were left fighting for life after contracting terrapin-related botulism, it has emerged.
The cases are the first of their kind in Ireland, the Irish Daily Mail reports.
The first case was recorded here in December 2010, and the second in March of 2013.
In the first case, the baby boy lived in a home where there was a pet yellow-bellied terrapin.
In the second case, the baby had been in the home of a relative who had pet turtle, and was held and fed by the owner.
Both infants fully recovered from the infection, following rapid treatment by medics.
The botulism-causing toxin was found in the tanks of both turtles.
The HSE has advised owners to ensure they wash their hands thoroughly after handling and feeding turtles, as well as ensuring they remain in their tank and can’t roam freely around the house.