Two Irish newborns rushed to hospital after contracting terrapin botulism

Two newborns were left fighting for life after contracting terrapin-related botulism, it has emerged.

terrapinBoth babies were just 11 days old when they were rushed to hospital with the disease, which is linked to pet turtles.

The cases are the first of their kind in Ireland, the Irish Daily Mail reports.

The first case was recorded here in December 2010, and the second in March of 2013.

In the first case, the baby boy lived in a home where there was a pet yellow-bellied terrapin.

In the second case, the baby had been in the home of a relative who had pet turtle, and was held and fed by the owner.

Both infants fully recovered from the infection, following rapid treatment by medics.

The botulism-causing toxin was found in the tanks of both turtles.

The HSE has advised owners to ensure they wash their hands thoroughly after handling and feeding turtles, as well as ensuring they remain in their tank and can’t roam freely around the house.

Virginia newborn dies of Listeria

A Prince George couple is mourning the loss of their first child, just days after the little girl was born. Kennedy Grace Briggs died of Listeria at just six days old.

Listeria is listed on Kennedy’s death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, Jenae Briggs, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.

However, it’s not clear if scientists will ever be able to trace the food source, in Kennedy’s case. The Virginia Department of Health hasn’t linked any Listeria cases to recent voluntary recalls. Regardless, Jenae wants other expecting couples to understand the risks associated with the illness, and how to guard against it.

“We have had to suffer the worst thing you could possibly ever imagine because of it. And so you want people to be aware of it,” said Jenae.
WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Illegal cheese source of Listeria for newborn in Oregon

Oregon public health officials issued a warning for illegally imported cheese from Mexico that is believed responsible for giving an unborn baby Listeria.

The infection was traced to unlabeled soft cheese called queso fresco sold in a Latino grocery store in Woodburn, officials said in a release. The listeriainvestigation by the Public Health Division and the Oregon Department of Agriculture found the cheese was brought into the country illegally from Mexico and sold in plastic bags.

A newborn baby became ill in late December, officials said, and believe the baby was infected before being born.