Toxic mothballs mixed in with candy in 1,100 food bank hampers handed out in Canada

Health officials are urging B.C. food bank users to throw away a candy mix distributed in hampers after mothballs were accidentally mixed into it.

11015297Camphor mothballs were mistakenly put into a candy mix in more than 1,100 hampers at the Share Family and Community Services Food Bank in Port Moody, Fraser Health said in a release.

Those hampers were then distributed to residents in the Tri-Cities, Anmore and Belcarra over the last two weeks.

Families that received the hampers are warned to immediately discard the candy containers by placing them in a bag and then putting them in the garbage.

Health officials also urge those families to keep the candy mix away from children and pets, and to not consume it.

This entry was posted in Wacky and Weird and tagged , , by Douglas Powell. Bookmark the permalink.

About Douglas Powell

A former professor of food safety and the publisher of, Powell is passionate about food, has five daughters, and is an OK goaltender in pickup hockey. Download Doug’s CV here. Dr. Douglas Powell editor, retired professor, food safety 3/289 Annerley Rd Annerley, Queensland 4103 61478222221 I am based in Brisbane, Australia, 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time