Toxic mothballs mixed in with candy in 1,100 food bank hampers handed out in Canada

Health officials are urging B.C. food bank users to throw away a candy mix distributed in hampers after mothballs were accidentally mixed into it.

11015297Camphor mothballs were mistakenly put into a candy mix in more than 1,100 hampers at the Share Family and Community Services Food Bank in Port Moody, Fraser Health said in a release.

Those hampers were then distributed to residents in the Tri-Cities, Anmore and Belcarra over the last two weeks.

Families that received the hampers are warned to immediately discard the candy containers by placing them in a bag and then putting them in the garbage.

Health officials also urge those families to keep the candy mix away from children and pets, and to not consume it.