Popular Tampa pub temporarily shut down for 180+ live and dead roaches in kitchen

The Tampa Tap Room on 13150 North Dale Mabry Highway had to temporarily close recently and the owner Norm Haney was shocked about the infestation.

tampa_tap_room“Was is it that extensive?” asked ABC Action News anchor Wendy Ryan.

“Not that I knew of, no it wasn’t that extensive,” Haney replied.

But the state would disagree.

According to a June 18 inspection report, the Carrollwood pub had to shut its doors for 22 hours after inspectors found over 180 live and dead roaches all over the kitchen including under the unused beer coolers, cooks line, shelving and reach in cooler. 

But Haney blames the roaches on one piece of unused equipment that he was storing in the kitchen and showed us behind the kitchen doors to prove all was cleaned up.

We uncovered other food safety issues in their latest inspection reports including employees failing to wash their hands, raw pork stored over oysters, which can lead to cross contamination, and the cooler not keeping food at a safe temperature.

“They did find some other food safety issues as well,” Ryan mentioned to Haney.

“All cleared up,” he responded.

“So you cleared up everything?” Ryan asked.

“Everything immediately,” Haney said confidently.