Raw eggs in any menu items? Ritzy Melbourne hotel kitchen under focus in Salmonella outbreak

Cockroach infestation, mice and multiple failed food safety inspections ard reportedly other disasters to have hit the prestigious Langham Hotel in Melbourne over a year before a massive salmonella outbreak.

langham.tea.salmThe Herald Sun reports that senior chefs had regularly been summoned to meetings in January and February of last year to combat health and safety issues and improve standards.

‘The kitchen almost got shut down a couple of times,’ the source said.

‘Melbourne City Council had been in there a bunch of times and fined them. There were cockroaches, mice, and all sorts of vermin that should not have been anywhere near a kitchen.’

The information comes after a pregnant woman, who did not want to be named, told the Herald Sun how she nearly lost her unborn child after suffering food poisoning from her baby shower at a prestigious Melbourne hotel.

The angry mother said that there are still serious concerns for the health of her premature baby boy who had breathing issues when he was born.

A hotel spokeswoman told Daily Mail Australia food samples had been frozen in line with hotel guidelines, which have now been provided to investigators.

‘This has never happened before and now we’re cooperating with the Department of Health and Human Services, and providing details of preparation logs and samples,’ she said.

‘As the safety and well-being of the guests and colleagues are of the highest priority, the hotel has extensive protocols in place to ensure food safety.’