More than 100 takeaway customers were sick for up to two months with a rare strain of E. coli – after staff did not wash their hands after using the toilet, a court heard.
In one case, a 13-year-old girl spent four nights in hospital with a consultant saying the infection could have been fatal if it was not treated.
Amjad Bhatti and Mohammed Basit, owners of the Khyber Pass, in Gregory Boulevard, pleaded guilty to seven food hygiene offences and were sentenced on Wednesday.
Prosecuting, Bernard Thorogood said that nine of the 12 members of staff who handle food at the takeaway were found to have traces of the bacteria, and one of the defendant’s daughters fell ill.
Mitigating, Robert Egbuna said lessons had been learnt and improvements made at the takeaway.
He said: “It is not just a case of adding hand basins. There have been significant changes that have come about from the real shock of what has happened.”
Bhatti and Basit were both given four months prison suspended for a year, as well as being ordered to do 250 hours of unpaid work each.
His Honour Judge Jeremy Lea also said each of the victims should be paid £200 compensation by the defendants as well as paying costs of £25,752.36.